Just past the Olympic Peninisula @ Lapush

Just past the Olympic Peninisula @ Lapush
Imagine if...life could always be this peaceful and serene

Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm with the Everett Community Meals. This organization is here within the city limits just off of Broadway and California. "They are here to serve any member of the community that may need a meal." (Everett Meals Program, Brochure.) Upon reaching my destination, I noticed that this program was in a back lot. The back driveway gave some sense of privacy for those coming to the program. My first impressions, well it looked rundown from what I could see of the outside. The parking lot which was just a small driveway, would gladly shine with new pavement. I could see about ten vehicles parked in the little driveway, and people were walking in and around or hanging near the entrance. We (husband came to help) were able to make our way inside, and stopped and looked around as we found ourselves standing in the little dining room that held maybe 5 small round tables, with 3-5 occupied chairs scattered around. People were all around and I immediately turned to a man leaning against the doorpost and ask if he knew Ron. He pointed to the right and said, "he's in the last room." That took us right through a small modest kitchen, and into another room where we found Ron, in prayer with another gentleman, that looked homeless. We stood just outside of the room, as we didn't want to interrupt something so personal. The prayer was over quickly and I went to introduce ourselves to Ron. I must say he is the most personable man I've met in a very long time. He stood straight and tall with graying hair pulled back into a ponytail, with weathered beaten skin that showed his many deep smile and frown lines, and in his hand he clutched the Holy Bible to his chest. I asked, "what can we do to help?" he replied, "go into the kitchen, introduce yourselves and the ladies will set you both up."

Prior to opening the kitchen, a short sermon followed by prayer was said. While helping to serve the meals, I was able to talk and meet with some of the people coming through the line. Most just said "thank you" and continued on down the line, than there were a few that asked questions and wanted info on surrounding areas or directions to get to another place. The majority of people there were compromised of Caucasian males, and there were more males then females. I'm not there to judge anyone, but I did see "tracks" on both arms of a young male, most likely not yet twenty one, and he kept his "spoon of choice" tucked in plain sight with a bandanna scarf wrapped around his forehead. I also noticed a couple of people had mental health issues, and some just looked like they were down on luck. Looks of defeat. Maybe hopelessness, plastered on some of the wearied faces trying to figure out where their next meal would come from.


***************will continue later**************

3 comments:

  1. Liz,
    Thank you for your blog. I think I get so busy and caught up in myself I forget to be thankful what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, Liz, Liz, what a phenominal blog, you are so detailed and I could just read anything you write, you truly are gifted in writing. I know one day you'll fulfil your dream and write a book.. I'll buy it. :-) What a great service learning experience you had. Such compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you really got me on this one you are so detailed in what you saw and expiernce , it really made a smile on my face on what a great service learning you picked, knowing you could help another in hand, in a need of a meal. on how a little but tiny place could put a big smile on someones face good job on the site you picked

    ReplyDelete